Paid leave isn’t just good for the health and well-being of workers – it is also good for businesses. Here’s why:
- Workers return faster to full productivity at work because they regain their health more quickly. People are also less likely to go to work sick and infect coworkers, preventing additional productivity losses.
- Instead of being distracted at work by children’s health problems or the need to arrange care for an elderly parent, workers can address their responsibilities at home.
- Employers have reduced overall absence expenses and reduced turnover costs, because parents can use sick leave to care for an ill child.
- Morale and customer service improve, while absenteeism, turnover and training costs decrease.
- Workers maintain some income to spend in their local communities, helping boost main street businesses.